Monday, September 01, 2008

I've been busy!

I should have posted an entry yesterday, but I had a long day and was too tired and trashed to write a decent post. I spend a good portion of the day pulling books out of my storage coffers so that I can list them for sale here. If you look on the side bar you will now see a "Books for Sale!" with three separate links for Technical, Non-Fiction, and Fiction/Miscellaneous Books. I thought this was necessary given the sheer volume of stuff I plan to get rid of. Hopefully I can get rid of most of the stuff and make a little extra to help get by while I pursue my goals.

Speaking of goals, I finished Chapter 4 of "Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML" and learned some interesting things about my favorite attribute "target". In most of the pages that I have composed using a WYSIWYG editor, I have almost always selected the target="_blank" option for links so that the links will open to either a new window or tab. What was pointed out in the book is that this may not always be the right thing to do, especially since it may cause problems for those who are visually impaired. This is very important for me since my Cloudymidnights site and blog, are in part intended for visually impaired astronomers.

I've been making a lot of upates to the Cloudymidnights blog, but I am holding off on upating the site until my skill set is improved. Besides being useful to climatically challenged or visually impaired astronomy enthusiasts, I also want the site to be functional as well as a show piece of my work, and I also don't need any distractions right now, so the site will sit as is for the immediate future.

Reading of web site usability and my work on the Cloudymidnights blog tweaked my interest in possibly looking for work as a web site usability tester, so now I have another possible avenue to pursue and hopefully help me find a job sooner.

For me web site/application usability tester is right up there with testing web applications for embedded systems, especially since it will help others, and that is in line with my recently defined purpose that I am now pursuing.

No comments: