Sunday, August 14, 2016

Over the line! #Linkedin is not #Facebook




The Lebowski meme above was inspired by people who I feel do not understand the difference between a professional networking site like Linkedin, and social networking site like Facebook.

On a social network like Facebook it is pretty much accepted for people to post their views, either publicly or just to friends, and if others do not agree they can either ignore the post, or make a comment to the contrary. People can also stop following or even unfriend the person if they choose to do so.

Linkedin on the other hand is a professional network and what is posted on Linkedin can be viewed by your coworkers, competitors, and prospective employers which is something people really need to consider before posting their views on politics, religion, or other "hot" topics.

While I have posted articles on Linkedin which were a little tongue in cheek those articles were either about issues I faced in my search for a new career opportunity and how I dealt with them, or about technologies which I have an interest in, and therefore I felt where appropriate for Linkedin.

There is a old axiom regarding how the discussions of sex, politics, and religion should be kept out of the office.

People should consider Linkedin an extension of their office.

For further reading may I suggest this Glassdoor article - Sex, Religion& Politics: Why You Should Never Discuss Them At Work 

No comments: